Dissertation Reviews (www.dissertationreviews.org) is a web platform featuring friendly, non-critical overviews of recently defended PhD dissertations. Each review provides a summary of the author’s main arguments, the particular scholarly conversation in which s/he is engaging, and the main source bases for the research. By focusing on the window of time between dissertation defense and first book publication, our goal is to offer scholars a glimpse of the immediate present of each field. Such awareness, we feel, leads to more dynamic, informed, collegial, and innovative scholarly communities.
We are looking for a dynamic, early- to mid-career scholar to join our team in the position of Field Editor for the popular series Korean Studies Dissertation Reviews.
As a Field Editor, you would collaborate closely with the editorial staff to develop our Korean Studies series. Specifically, you would:
– Work with editorial staff to learn about recently defended dissertations in your field
– Liaise with dissertation authors and reviewers in your field
– Draw upon and expand your knowledge of the field in order to pair dissertations with appropriate reviewers
– Act as the public face of Dissertation Reviews within your field/discipline/area
– Collaborate with your fellow Dissertation Reviews editors in other fields to help continually improve and enhance the overall project
All early- and mid-career faculty, post-doc, and advanced PhD students in the humanities and social sciences are eligible to apply. As the the ideal candidate, you are:
– A scholar with robust training in Korean Studies
– Committed to the development of ever more dynamic, collegial, and innovative scholarly communities
– Enthused by the idea of becoming more informed about current, cutting-edge research in your field
– Responsible and reliable
– A professional, consistent communicator
– An active member of your field’s scholarly networks (i.e. conferences, listservs, etc.)
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with following items:
– Brief Statement addressing:
– the field/discipline/area you are applying to help develop and edit
– how and why the scholars and scholarship in this field would, in your opinion, benefit from and contribute to the Dissertation Reviews community
– how your own background and credentials speak to the eligibility items listed above
– CV (2 pp. or less)
To make the process of developing and managing a branch as smooth and efficient as possible, all Field Editors in the DR team receive robust support from the editorial staff. Please note that all editorial
positions at Dissertation Reviews are unpaid.
To learn more about Dissertation Reviews, our editors, and our contributors, please click on “About Us” on our webpage.
Editor-in-Chief: Thomas S. Mullaney (Stanford University)
Managing Editor: Leon Rocha (University of Cambridge)
Managing Editor: Matthew Melvin-Koushki (Princeton University)
Image: NAM IL-HAE (남일해) 추억의 노래꽃다발 No.5 12 inch vinyl LP (South Korea) Asia Record ALS 84, ca. early- to mid-1960s. Korean vinyl records – 한국 레코드판.